Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Radiohead’s new album “In Rainbows” available for free*! - Marketing in the New (new new) Digital Age

(*Well actually, 45p, but who’s counting)

If there’s anyone in the world right now who seems to completely understand the power of digital distribution, apart from Apple, it’s Radiohead. Practically speaking, what a brilliant marketing move.

This sort of story has its own legs. It promotes furious debate and discussion. It transcends the internet into the real world. It allows, nay, necessitates, the collection of a massive email mailing list - plausibly millions of fans and potential fans. Many people are going to be new to Radiohead but because the album’s free, will of course give it a whirl.

In short, there is no need for Radiohead to spend money to advertise, promote or do any of the things that normally need to happen in the real (or virtual) world to move units. And the in-store sales appear almost an afterthought for these guys nowadays.

Furthermore, record companies usually take a massive percentage of any normally signed artist’s sales, often leaving them with only a small percentage (I’ve heard 1 or 2% sometimes ) of the proceeds anyway. 45p might actually be more than Radiohead previously got from Parlophone. Again - a wise move.

They didn’t even need to (or appear to) go to much effort making the website look super (or even mildly) professional. As a huge fan of Radiohead’s music I’ve visited their pages from time to time particularly during the ”Kid A” phase, so I’m familiar with the idiosyncratic syntax and curious code that graces their website, but the page they used to accept my order for the new Radiohead album was still slightly odd and felt unofficial!

Anyway… no way that’s going to get in the way of new Radiohead music pouring into my eager ears. I downloaded it. I only paid £1.45 – yes as a fan I feel slightly ashamed, but to offset this I did tell a lot of mates to go and download it, many of whom have, so as I look at it, I did quite a lot of free promotion for Radiohead, because they are such nice chaps. Plus Thom Yorke downloaded it for free too ;).

That’s the practicalities for now.

From a philosophical point of view it brings into question the value of music to the listener and seriously highlights the over-pricing that I believe iTunes has promoted. Who says 79p (in the UK) for one song is the right price? Apparently the consumer, according to iTunes sales figures. It’s too much, I believe, even in comparison to physical CD units which are already overpriced. New chart-topping CDs usually sell for about £8, for on average 10-12 songs. Less than 79p per song. But you also get a CD that’s playable in most devices, CD quality music, a CD case and importantly, artwork. Plus sometimes there’s quite substantial bonuses such as DVDs. Granted, unless you’re talking about high-quality artists, a lot of songs can be “fillers”.

Back to the new Radiohead album, ”In Rainbows”. I believe, having not heard the second CD, that some of the first, “free” CD, is filler. Not easily said, because as I’ve mentioned I’m a massive fan. The album feels incomplete, too soft and mellow, uneventful even, and unbalanced. Radiohead, I believe, know what they’re doing. Usually they will put together a kick-ass combination to make an album feel complete. I suspect the non-free stuff on CD 2 has a few more rocking tunes like 15 Step and Bodysnatchers, the introductory 1-2 punch which account for my favourites from “In Rainbows”.

There’s some nice tunes, catchy melodies, interesting lyrics, but of all their albums except “Pablo Honey” this is the one I’d listen to the least. I remember hearing a replay of Radiohead’s classic Glastonbury set back in 1997 (I think) and then soon afterwards buying “OK Computer” and being so blown away and excited that, despite the time of night (around midnight when I started) I listened to it in total rapture from start to finish, twice. THIS was the music I’d always wanted to hear and had been missing for years. THIS was the future. “In Rainbows” first two tracks captures some of that excitement still (not bad going ten years on mind you) but doesn’t stand up, IMHO. Still, by any other band’s standards, a high-quality bunch of tunes delivered nicely. Though, ah, I feel I should talk about “10,000 Days” and Tool, who are another penultimate band for me, but I’ll save it for another thread. Then there’s my relatively recent attachment to Led Zeppelin… then there’s…

Other thoughts, music, videos and general randomness:
http://www.imaginaryband.com
and
http://www.duncanalex.com

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home