Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Federer versus Sampras: He who laughs last...?

As a tennis fan - what did you think of this series of three matches?*
For my part, when I heard about this earlier in the year I was pretty excited. And nervous. Federer is to me the greatest tennis player to have lived. All I had to do to make this decision was watch Sampras and Federer's only professional match - Wimbledon back in 2001, where Federer, a young and incomplete player, faced the master of grass(ter) yet still looked the cooler player all round. Despite Sampras' characteristic nonchalance, Federer out-aced and soundly matched Sampras throughout then beat the Defending Champion in the fifth set.

Actually I think Federer had Sampras beaten earlier in the match - to me he looked like a winner throughout. Sampras was battling like a champ obviously, all credit to him, coming off some bad form earlier in the tournament. What really interested me was the manner that Federer actually beat Pete - i.e. at his own game - this really thrilled me to see. Because he can do it all. I think he actually enjoys emulating the game style of his opponents, that is - as he plays them in real-time! In Roland Garros, Federer looks like a different player - a clay-courter. That he's come acropper against the best ever clay-court player, Nadal, is merely unfortunate timing, just as is Nadal's remaining at number 2 and forever meeting and losing to Federer in Wimbledon. Like Nadal says jokingly but not that modestly - perhaps he is the best Number two player in history! I think both players will win the other's "home grounds" at some point, but I digress.

This Sampras vs Federer series of Asian exhibition matches, money and sponsorship aside, was a great idea for promoting excitement about the sport. I still really have a lot of time to watch the Master at work, but I have to agree that men's tennis in general has become a little bit of a one-man show of "Who can beat Federer?" - obviously when a player's that good, the big news becomes the times when he loses, as recently occurred in two matches in a row against David Nalbandian. That brings to mind - have you heard about the giant billboard of Nalbandian falling down near someone - I need to look that up on YouTube! Again I digress...

From the scorelines, match descriptions and player media briefings in the Asian seris, I can see some proof that the oldies - particularly a great oldie holding the record of Grand Slams, can hang tough with the current tennis generation. And in the case of their final match of the series, beat the world number one Roger Federer. Wow.

I haven't seen the match and shockingly even my tennis mates have failed to deliver on this front with any recordings ;) but as someone who believes Federer the greatest ever, I am surprised whilst at the same time realising that tennis at their level is always a matter of micro-scorelines and very small differences, and that exhibition matches are not in any way the "real thing" I would have thought a little bit of pride and ego creeps in!

For now, perhaps Sampras has the last word. And perhaps, as Federer described being "a bit surprised" he will focus a bit more next time! Slacker! Federer has said "I want to get him back"! Personally, while Sampras can still hold his own, I'd pay to see that!

*This article is based on the evidence I've read throughout the web - I want to actually SEE the evidence for myself - i.e. the whole series of three matches! YouTube here I come...

UPDATED:
Free to watch the Sampras Federer match?

I've not checked this site yet but will definitely be trying it out!: http://www.thetennischannel.com

For more randomness in the form of thoughts, stories, music and videos, visit:
http://www.imaginaryband.com

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home